Monday, August 4, 2008

I Am Jack's Medulla Oblongata

Public Service Announcement

I know you. You, yuppie-consumerist-corporation slave-zombie. You woke up this morning, dreading the thought of another 12 hour work day, tied to your desk, pushing your paper and counting your beans while being consoled by the fact that you are only 4 days away from the weekend and 20, 000 more till you bite the dust.

What would you have accomplished by then? A little money in the bank? Two ingrate children who dump you in the retirement home where you spend the rest of your days reminiscing about what could have been? Some nice memories that are slowly becoming distorted after all those years vicariously living through others.

Wake up, you idiot. Stop guzzling that Starbucks swill and get off your ergonomic IKEA chair. This is your life. Live it.

What are you? Just another statistic. What do we care about? Celebrity gossip. Fancy cars. Designer clothes. Technological solutions for modern living. You don't need that. It doesn't fill the void where your soul used to be. It does not make your life any less of the living hell it is right now.

You are not your job. You are not your bank account. You are not the contents of your wallet. You are NOT your fucking sedan car.

The things you own, end up owning you.

I say never be complete. May you never be content. I say stop being perfect. Evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.

We are the middle children of history. We are born of mediocrity and we will die having achieved nothing. We have no great war, our war is a daily one that lies within. We have no great depression, except the one you call your life.

This is your life and it is ending one minute at a time. We are all part of the same grand tragedy. It is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Who am I?

I am the person you are not strong enough to become. All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you want to look. I fuck like you want to fuck. I am smart. I am capable.
But most of all, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Sincerely,

You.